- Stick to 8-12kg kettlebells until you master the technique.
Work on increasing TIME first, REPETITIONS second, WEIGHT last.
- Watch yourself in a mirror or on video to ensure lockout, fixation, joint stacking, and proper biomechanics (see my post on Kettlebell Sport terminology).
- Start with 1 minute on each side (or 2 minutes for doubles), then move to 2 minutes, 3 minutes, etc. until you can make 10 minutes.
- Hit the following benchmark numbers for a 10-minute set before moving up in weight:
- Long Cycle (one bell): 110-120 repetitions
- Long Cycle (two bells): 60-80 repetitions
- Jerks (one bell): 140-160 repetitions
- Jerks (two bells): 100-120 repetitions
- Snatch: 180-200 repetitions
Are you interested in hosting a beginners Kettlebell Sport workshop so you can learn or master the basics and begin training?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.